Contributed by Sandra McGlone Everingham
The Glawe School was built in Ocqueoc Township around 1885. The land for the school
was donated by Christian Glawe and was located on Ocqueoc Highway on the south side
of the present Lutheran Church. During the first year, seventeen students attended the school for about three
months. The first teacher was Emma Platt who was paid $20 a month and stayed with
families in the area. Some of the memories from the school include: the smell of wet wool from the
mittens, scarves, and overshoes set on top of the floor grates to dry; students bringing jars
of soup that were dumped into one large pot and shared; students arriving by sleigh in the
winter; box socials, Valentine parties, and Christmas programs. The Glawe School Committee was formed, the school was moved and exhibits
and artifacts were collected for display. The above information came from The Onaway School Alumni Association Newsletter,
Volume 12 and from Sandra McGlone Everingham. GLAWE SCHOOL Glawe School in Ocqueoc Twp. (T.35N.-R.3E.-Sec. 5, SE ¼, NE1/4) This school was
located at the end of Schaedig Hwy where it intersects Ocqueoc Hwy andopened in 1885.
Emma Platts, the first teacher, taught 17 pupils for 3 months of the school year
and received $20.00 per month. This school was recently moved to Forty Mile Point and is
being used as a museum. TEACHERS Nettie Doolittle 1908-1909 Sarah Doolittle Harold Heron 1907 & 1908 Emma Platts – first teacher STUDENTS Hesper Doolittle Hesper Freier Merritt Freier Sterling Freier Eva Gafffany Gaffany Children Dora Glawe Pearl Kerr Temple Kerr Arnon Kirkendall Nora Kirkendall Nina Minier Nora Minier Herbert Pomeranke Vera Pomranke John Schaedig Morris ? Compiled and Contributed by Nute Chapman, Sally Beatty, & Jim Hall The information below comes from a brochure on the Glawe School:
The Glawe School was built in Ocqueoc Township about 1885. Logging and farming had attracted more settlers to northern Michigan, and families followed. When citizens of Ocqueoc decided it was time for a school, a log building was erected on land donated by Christian Glawe. It was located on Ocqueoc Highway on the south side of the present Lutheran Church.
Each school day began with a prayer and the pledge to the flag. Grades 1 through 8 were taught in the one room: first graders in front, older students in back. Instruction was given in reading, penmanship, arithmetic, history, geography, hygiene, and grammar. Students were taught in groups and then sent back to their seats to work quietly while another group came to the front. The only whole-school instruction was in penmanship; although stories were read and current events discussed as a group. Older students helped younger ones with school work such as reading and arithmetic problems. After eighth grade, most students' education was finished. Over time, more students went on to high school, but the distance made this difficult. Many students boarded with families in Onaway to be able to attend high school.
Heat was first provided by a wood-fired stove which was maintained by the older boys. Wood was donated by parents and stored in an outbuilding behind the school next to separate outhouses for girls and boys.
Drinking water came from a pump outside the building. Older students were responsible for keeping a bucket filled with water each day; there was a dipper in the bucket that everyone drank from. As time passed, the wood stove was replaced by a coal furnace, the dipper by a drinking fountain, and the outhouses by indoor bathrooms.
One memory of the school's early days is the mittens, scarves and overshoes scattered around the floor grate to dry on a winter days, which meant the odor of wet wool permeated the room. Students often brought jars of soup for lunch which would be dumped into a communal pot on the wood stove and shared among all. Discipline was maintained by standing the offender in a corner at the front of the room. The teacher rang a bell to begin the school day as students walked from their homes or arrived on sleighs if the snow was very deep. Special events at the school included such things as box socials, Valentine parties, and Christmas programs. Those who attended Glawe School wished to preserve these memories of the school; therefore, the Glawe School Committee was formed, the building moved for preservation, and these exhibits and artifacts were collected and displayed.
THE TEACHER'S CONTRACT
If you just agree to the following stipulations and sign this contract (which dates from the 1920s, when only women needed to apply), we may be able to use you. Miss________________________________ agrees: 1. Not to get married. This contract becomes null and void immediately if the teacher marries. 2. Not to keep company of men. 3. To be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless in attendance at a school function. 4. Not to loiter downtown in ice cream parlors. 5. Not to leave town at any time without the permission of the Chairman of Trustees. 6. Not to smoke cigarettes. This contract becomes null and void immediately if the teacher is found smoking. 7. Not to drink beer, wine, or whiskey. This contract becomes null and void immediately if the teacher is found drinking beer, wine, or whiskey. 8. Not to ride in a carriage or automobile with any many except her brother or father. 9. Not to dress in bright colors. 10. Not to dye her hair. 11. Not to wear less than two petticoats. 12. Not to wear dresses shorter than two inches above the ankle. 13. To keep the schoolroom clean: a. To sweep the classroom floor at least once daily. b. To scrub the classroom floor at least weakly with soap and hot water. c. To clean the blackboard at least once daily. d. To start the fire at 7 a.m. so that the room will be warm by 8 a.m. when the children arrive. 14. Not to wear face powder, mascara, or to paint the lips. (Reprinted courtesy of the Chicago Tribune, September 28, 1975)