One Room Schools



PRESQUE ISLE COUNTY

 

PRESQUE ISLE COUNTY

 

1st Advent  School Located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.  �R.2E. Sec. 7  Across from Don Baker�s place.  No longer exists. 

 

1st Wooden � In the City of Onaway at College & School St. T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6

 

1st Wooden School � in the Village of Millersburg On the hill by the river. T.34N. R.3E. Sec. 15.  Started in 1898

 

2nd Wooden � in the City of Onaway at College & School St. T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6

 

2nd Wooden School � in the Village of Millersburg. At the ball field T.34N. R.3E. Sec. 15. Started 1898

 

Advent School located across from Don Butler�s place 

 

Advent School located in the City of Onaway T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6 (Started in 1904 or was this the one by Don Butler�s place_ 

 

Advent School � Bearinger Twp.(T.36N. R.2.E.)(NW �, NE 1/3, Sec. 24) was a log school located on south side of CR 646 on property owned by Robert W. Sylvester.

 

Bearinger School� T.36N. � R.2E.- Sec. 14 This is now Bearinger Township Hall

 

Beech Grove School � on the NW corner of Beach Grove & N. Curtis Rd.

 

Belding School T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 SE Corner of Belding and Gibbons Hwy. Land was donated by George W. Belding and was also the first teacher. 

 

Belknap School #1 � also called Heslip School located in Section 11 at 4752  County Road 441   

 

Belknap School #2 is located in Section 8 on Klee Rd. between Ristow & W. Mill on  the east side of the road. 

 

Belknap School #3 is also called Noffze School Section  20 is located near the corner of County Road 451 and Noffze Highway, Hawks 

 

Belknap School #4 � located on Section 26 on the corner of Hwy. 441 & Darga

 

Belknap School #6 also called Swan River School� located in Sect. 28 on S. Rogers Rd. between Noffze & W. Hawks Hwy. 

 

Belknap School (Hawks Centennial book)

 

Bell 

 

Bertram�s Lutheran School � located in Rogers City in Bertram�s home. 

 

Birch Hill 

 

Bismarck #1 on Wilk Highway, Hawks (Hawks Centennial book) 

 

Bismarck #2 On Section 35 on 638 on the south side near the corner of Ward Branch 

 

Bismarck  on Quinn Creek Highway, Hawks (Hawks Centennial book) 

 

Bismarck #3 on 638 Highway (not originally listed here) (Hawks Centennial book) 

 

Bismarck School � Section 1, SE Corner located on Grossman land

 

Bismarck #6 

 

Black Lake 

 

Brent 

 

Bronikowski 

 

Camp 

 

Camp 18 or 8? T.34N.-R.2E. Sec. 22 Left hand side of Little Rainy 3 miles north side just before  Little Rainy  near old stone dam

 

Case School in Case Twp. T.34N. � R.3E Sec. 18 end of S.Thompson Road on the north side of the RR. Tracks & east side of the road.  This school no longer exists.

 

Catholic School � located in the City of Onaway 1911 T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6

 

Cement  School  Case Twp. - T.34N. -  R.3E Sec. 26 Ruth Wigggins front yard?

 

Cement School North Allis   Also called Schmidt and Ryan  T.35N. � R.2E. Sec.14. This school is located near the corner of N. Allis and Porter Road and still stands.

 

Centela 

 

Chandler School � North Allis Twp. T.35N. � R.2E. Sec. 28  Miller

 

Clay Banks 

 

Cole/Grace 

 

Colonial Building School � in the city of Onaway Hose house grades 9 & 10. 

 

Court House School � located in the city of Onaway

 

Crowe Dam in Ocqueoc Twp. (T.35N.-R.3E. Sec. 27, SE1/4, SE1/4) was the last school built in Ocqueoc Twp.in 1912 for $250.00.  This school burned down in the nineteen-thirties and was located by River Road near Ocqueoc Falls on the left side between there and the intersection of M-68.

 

Cryderman School also called Porter School - � S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.  Sec. 12. �  Mile South on S. Porter Rd. 

 

Davies started 1884 � became Pearson 1887

 

DeRoche 

 

Friends Church � in the City of Onaway Black River? 

 

Glawe School in Ocqueoc Twp. (T.35N.-R.3E.-Sec. 5, SE �, NE1/4) This school was located at the end of Schaedig Hwy where it intersects Ocqueoc Hwy and opened in 1885.  Emma Platts, the first teacher, taught 17 pupils for 3 months of the school year and received $20.00 per month.  This school was recently moved to Forty Mile Point. 

 

Godin School is located in Ocqueoc Twp. on the NW corner of N. Allis and Dittmar Rd.  (T.35N.-R.3E.-Sec 18 � SW1/4, SE �)  This was the first school built in Ocqueoc Twp. in 1884.  Michael Fitch was the first teacher. This school still stands today.  This school was also called Gordan School

 

Gordan School � also called Godin School is located in Ocqueoc Twp. on the NW corner of N. Allis and Dittmar Rd.  (T.35N.-R.3E.-Sec 18 � SW1/4, SE �)  This was the first school built in Ocqueoc Twp. in 1884.  Michael Fitch was the first teacher. This school still stands today.  

 

Grace  School is located in Bearinger Twp.  T.36N.-R.2E.) (SW �, SW1/4, Sec. 13 was a log  school located about � mile north on Balch Rd. from intersection with CR 646.  One teacher was hired to teach in all four schools in Bearinger Twp. � 3 months in each school.

 

Grace  Harbor School  is located in Bearinger Twp. (T.37N.-R.2E.)  (NW �, NE1/4) Sec. 1  was located about 500 feet north of the Black Mallard River close to Lake Huron.  One teacher was hired to teach in all four schools in Bearinger Twp. � 3 months in each school.

 

Grambau � Rogers City 

 

Hackett Lake School Located in S. Allis Twp. Whaley School was moved from the Bill Price Farm on Hackett Lake Rd. & Minier (T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 33) to Little Rainey and Hackett Lake Rd.( T.34N. � R.2E Sec. 35 ) in 1927.  It then became the Hackett Lake School.  Charlie Badgero moved this school with a team of horses and a windlass.  Bob Hilliker remembers riding in the school when it was being moved down the road. This school operated between 1927 and 1963 and is still standing.

 

Hammond Bay School was also called Valentine School (T.36N.-R.3E  Sec. 14.) This part of Bearinger Twp. later became part of Ocqueoc Twp. (SE1/4, NE1/4, Sec.23) This school was also known as Hammond Bay School and was built sometime before 1903.  The school served the children of the men who worked at the Life Saving Station and still stands.  One teacher was hired to teach in all four schools in Bearinger Twp. � 3 months in each school.

 

Hawks Consolidated School � on 638 Hwy. (Hawks Centennial book)

 

Heslip � also called Belknap #1 School located at 4752  County Road 441.

 

Hope 

 

Horn School was located in Rogers Township, Sec. 32 on Wenzel Highway on the north side of the road.  It was constructed by Friedrich Horn, a carpenter by trade, in the mid 1870's.   His son, Charles and neighbors assisted in the building.   It is not known when the school building was torn down, but after 1937. �Contributed by Don Knopf, the gr great grandchild of Friedrich Horn. 

 

Horn Lutheran School was located in Rogers City in Robert Horn�s home on the corner of First Street and Michigan Avenue.  

 

Hose House � Located in the City of Onaway T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6

 

Inglis 

 

Kauffman 

 

Kitchen�s Lutheran School � located in Rogers City in William Kitchen�s home.

 

Klee School on Klee Road about � mile from W. Ristow Belknap Twp. Sect. 7.  It is a private residence.

 

Krakow School #1 is located in Section 33 near the corner of Long Lake & Kuffel Rd.  and north of Trapp Lake Rd. 

 

Krakow School # 2 is located in Section 5 on the NW corner of N. Grand Lake and Bolton

 

Lutheran�s Log Cabin � located in Rogers City close to the church. Log Cabin in Case Twp. 

 

Log Cabin  or Log House was located  in S. Allis Twp. T.33N. � R.2E. � Sec. 11 West 634 or 6 Mile Hwy. on Old Road to Loon Lake

 

Mahoney Bldg �Located in the City of Onaway T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6

 

Metz  School Section  1 on the corner of Grand Lake and Gerald  NE Corner next to the Town Hall. 

 

Merchant School � (T.36N. - R.2E.) Bearinger Twp. Sec. 29 was a log cabin on the north side of Enchanted Pine Hwy between CR 489 and Bluffs Rd.  One teacher was hired to teach in all four schools in Bearinger Twp. � 3 months in each school.  Nutes notes indicate it was between Bluff�s Rd. & Roost Rd.

 

Merchant School  also called Silver Creek School was located in the part of Bearinger Twp. which is now Ocqueoc Twp. It was originally built on top of the hill by Gordon Merchant�s T.35N. � R.3 E. Sec. 3.  About 1917 the school was moved to its present location near Silver Creek and became known as the Silver Creek School.  Silver Creek School T.35N. � R.3 E. Sec. 2 was a building that came from Valentine Island (Hammond Bay)...although not the school building from there.

 

Miller 

 

Millersburg. 1st Wooden School  T.34N. � R.3E. Sec.  15 (On the hill over looking the River) 

 

Millersburg  2nd Wooden School  T.34N. � R.3E. Sec.  15

 

Millersburg Old Brick  School T.34N. � R.3E. Sec.  15 Built in 1912 after the fire of 1911 and burned down on February 13, 1953.

 

Millersburg New Block  School T.34N. � R.3E. Sec.  15 Built in 1953 on the same site as the Old Brick School. New Brick �Stopped being a school June 2009

 

Minton 

 

New Brick �  Located in the City of Onaway on M-33 T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6 1963 

 

 

Noffze is also called Belknap # 3  Section  20 is located near the corner of County Road 451 and Noffze Highway, Hawks 

 

Old Brick in the Village of Millersburg. T.34N. R.3E. Sec. 15. Same location as the New Brick one is.  Burned down.  

 

Old Log School Onaway 1905-1916

 

Onaway Catholic School Operated till 1925 

 

Onaway Jr. Academy T.35N.-R.2E. � Sec. 30 Corner of 3 Mile & M-33  Advent? 

 

Onaway High � in the City of Onaway on Shaw Street

 

Parris School (Case School #4)-  Located in Case Twp. S. Ocqueoc on the East corner of Dempsey T.34N. R.3E.Sect. 16 The first school located here was a log cabin.   Teacher was Lucy Mills, mother of Claire Walters

 

Patty Hyde � was located in Forest Township, Cheboygan County in Section 24.  

 

Pearson School T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 29 Approximately 1 � miles east of M-33 on 3 Mile South side of road.   This had once been Davies School

 

Pioneer 

 

Polaskio Station 

 

Pomranke - Onaway

 

Porter School also called Cryderman School � S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2#Sec. 12.   �  Mile S. on  S. Porter Rd. East side of road. 

 

Posen School #1 is also called Pioneer School and located at 7018 Leer Rd., Hawks and now a home. Sect. 30 of what was Posen Twp. but now the South part of Pulawski

 

Posen School #2 is located in Section. 4 of Posen Twp. on the corner SW of 65 & E. Metz

 

Posen School #3 is located in section 30 on the South West Corner of Thunder Bay and Leer Rd. 

 

Posen School #4 is located in Section 24 on the North East corner of Clinton Lk Hwy & Polarski 

 

Posen School #5 is located in Section 17 on 634 and Spud Rd. on the North west corner

 

Presque Isle School #1 - located in Section 28 on the north east corner on Grand Lake Hwy

 

Presque Isle School #2 � located in 27 on the northwest corner

 

Presque Isle School #3 located in Section 19

 

Prichard School T.33N. � R.2E. Sec. 25

 

Quinn Creek  (Hawks Centennial book)

 

Rainey Lake School Case Twp.  T.33N. � R.3E Sec. 9 This school consolidated with the Millersburg School in 1939. 

 

Rainy River School � North Allis Twp.T.35N. � R.2E. Sec. 35

 

Roberts School is located in North Allis Twp. (T.35 N � R.2E. Sec. 19) on the corner of M-211 & N. Allis

 

Rock Valley 

 

Rogers City Lutheran School was first located in Robert Horn�s home which was located at the corner of First Street and Michigan Avenue.  Later it was located in the home of William Kitchen, then the Bertrams.  Finally a small cabin was built near the church. 

 

Rogers City School � The first school was built in 1872 and located on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Second Street where the present City Hall is located. It cost $2,000 to build.  The first teacher was William Buckner who had 30 students when opened.  

 

Rogers City � Built for the German Lutheran students in the area and built on the corner of Michigan and Fifth Streets.  � This became the first four room school house. 

 

Rogers Twp. School � located Section 24 now Michigan Limestone Operations near the rail road tracks. 

 

Rogers Twp. School � located Section 32 on Wenzel Rd. on the north side of the road. 

 

Rogers Twp. School located in West part of Rogers Twp. Section  36 on Nagel south side of road 

 

Rowe School � North Allis Twp. � T.35N.  � R.2E. Sec. 29 

 

Ryan School � Location ?  Also called Cement & Schmidt

Schell 

 

Schmidt � Location?  Also known as Cement & Ryan Schools

 

Shaloy also called Tomahawk Creek (Lake) and was located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.-Sec. 8 On the SE corner of M-33 & 6 Mile  Built in 1897 and served till the 1950�s. As Tomahawk Creek (Lake) School it was located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.-Sec. 35

 

 

Shaw � 1882 Located in the City of Onaway T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 5 & 6  Shaw = Log Cabin= First school in Onaway was located where the Marathon Station is...corner of M-33 and M-68  (Washington Ave.???)

 

Silver Creek originally known as Merchant School was located in the part of Bearinger Twp. which is now Ocqueoc Twp. It was originally built on top of the hill by Gordon Merchant�s T.35N. � R.3 E. Sec. 3.  About 1917 the school was moved to its present location near Silver Creek and became known as the Silver Creek School.  Silver Creek School T.35N. � R.3 E. Sec. 2 was a building that came from Valentine Island (Hammond Bay)...although not the school building from there.

 

Skiera 

 

Skilba 

 

St. Casmir School is located in Posen Twp. Section 10 next to the church

 

St. Ignatius School started in 1921 with an enrollment of about 150 students. Destroyed by fire 3 years later 

 

St. Michael�s Lutheran School (Hawks Centennial book)

 

Stone School 

 

Streesick 

 

Swan River is now Irene Fleming�s home on South Roger's Road. located in Sect. 28 on S. Rogers Rd. between Noffze & W. Hawks Hwy. 

 

Szmanski 

 

Tomahawk Creek (Lake) School also called Shaloy School and located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.-Sec. 35 on the SE corner of M-33 & 6 Mile.  As Shaloy School it too was located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.-Sec. 8.

 

Town Hall 

 

Union 

 

Valentine (T.36N.-R.3E Sec. 14.) This part of Bearinger Twp. later became part of Ocqueoc Twp. (SE1/4, NE1/4, Sec.23) This school was also known as Hammond Bay School and was built sometime before 1903.  The school served the children of the men who worked at the Life Saving Station and still stands.  One teacher was hired to teach in all four schools in Bearinger Twp. � 3 months in each school. is near the Coast Guard station at Hammond Bay.  Margaret (Guinther??) Freel (The guy has a picture of the old school in his desk at the station.)

 

Vilburn is located in Ocqueoc Twp. on the SW corner of Ocqueoc Rd. & Twin School (T.35N.-R.3E. Sec. 32, NE �, NE �).  It was opened in 1884.  It was originally a log school and had been Mick Fitches home.  This school still stands and is now a home. 

 

Whaley School in S. Allis Twp. T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 33 Corner of Hackett Lake Road & Minier Road.  This school is also called Hackett Lake School

 

Woloszyk 

 

Schools in different townships often had the same name.  Many schools were put on skids and moved.  If that happened many took on a new name. 

 

 

 

            CHEBOYGAN COUNTY

 

Brady School � also called Goeke School was located in Walker Township, Cheboygan County on Osmun Rd. 

 

Buzzell School � also called Post School or Gregg School was in the Tower School District in Cheboygan County south on Black River Rd. in the sandy field past Lyon Rd.

 

Clute School � also known as Grant School and was located in Maple Grove Twp. in Cheboygan County and was part of Tower School District.  In 1942 Maple Grove Twp. became part of Forest Township.  The school is located (T.33 - R.1E. Sec. 8 NW �, NW �, SW �.. It was located two miles west on the Clute Rd. from the intersection of the Clute Road (Stone School) & Centerline Rd.

 

 

Draper School � This school was located on M-33 west of Onaway on the McGregor�s Farm and located in the Tower School District in Cheboygan County. 

 

Goeke School � Also called Brady School was located in Walker Township, Cheboygan County on Osmun Rd.

 

 

Grant School �  also known as Clute  School and was located in Maple Grove Twp. in Cheboygan County and was part of Tower School District.  In 1942 Maple Grove Twp. became part of Forest Township.  The school is located (T.33 - R.1E. Sec. 8 NW �, NW �, SW �.. It was located two miles west on the Clute Rd. from the intersection of the Clute Road (Stone School) & Centerline Rd.

 

Gregg School or Post School or Buzzell School was in the Tower School District in Cheboygan County south on Black River Rd. in the sandy field past Lyon Rd.

 

LaFond School � also called Wickersham School School is on the left side of the road at the corner of Black River Ave. and the road to turn to Tim Paulus's place.  There is a 2' high foundation with trees growing up in the middle.

 

Mitchell School - Mitchell School was created June 17, 1884 was also called Sabin School is located in Forest Township in Cheboygan County.  It is located on the NE corner of NW � of Section 8, T. 34 N. � R. 1 E.  In 1928 it burned but school was continued in the home of Dell Sabin for the remainder of the term.  Then in 1934 a school from Maple Grove Township (Forest) was moved to the Mitchell School site and was used until 1941 when the county schools were closed.  This building still stands. 

 

Paddy Hyde School - corner of Erratt and Black River Rd.(Cheboygan)

 

Pearsall School � was located in what was Maple Grove Twp, Cheboygan County, which  later became part of  Forest Twp. in Cheboygan County  

 

Post School � Gregg School School  was in the Tower School District in Cheboygan County  south on Black River Rd. in the sandy field past Lyon Rd. or Buzzell 

 

Sabin School � Mitchell School was created June 17, 1884 was also called Mitchell School is located in Forest Township in Cheboygan County.  It is located on the NE corner of NW � of Section 8, T. 34 N. � R. 1 E.  In 1928 it burned but school was continued in the home of Dell Sabin for the remainder of the term.  Then in 1934 a school from Maple Grove Township (Forest) was moved to the Mitchell School site and was used until 1941 when the county schools were closed.  This building still stands. 

 

Union School located in Rogers City in 1903 Locatted at Michigan and 5th.

 

Whaley School is in Allis Township  It was moved from the Bill Price Farm on Hackett Lake Rd. & Minier (T.34N. � R.2E. Sec. 33) to Little Rainey and Hackett Lake Rd.( T.34N. � R.2E Sec. 35 ) in 1927.  It then became the Hackett Lake School.  Charlie Badgero moved this school with a team of horses and a windlass.  Bob Hilliker remembers riding in the school when it was being moved down the road. This school operated between 1927 and 1963 and is still standing.

 

 

Wickersham School is also called LaFond School is in Forest Township, Cheboygan County (T.34N. � R.1E. Sec. 22 NW �, NE �, NE1/4.  It was located on the south side of Tucker Rd. approximately 3/10ths of a mile west of Centerline Rd. on Tim Paulus�s farm.  This school operated until 1909.  In 1909 a new LaFond School was built on the south east corner of Tucker and Centerline Rd.  At its new location it operated until 1915.  It reopened in 1933 and closed for good in 1941.  From 1933 till its closing, it was known as the Wickersham School.  There is a 2' high foundation with trees growing up in the middle.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks to the Glawe School Committee, Sallie Beatty, Nute Chapman, Jim Hall, and others for this information. 

 







Return to Home Page