Shaloy or Tomahawk School
Contributed by Nute Chapman,Jim Hall,Sally Beatty



 SHALOY SCHOOLTOMAHAWK CREEK SCHOOL Tomahawk Creek (Lake) School was located in S. Allis Twp. T.34N.-R.2E.-Sec. 35 on the
SE corner of M-33 & 6 Mile. It was built in 1897 and served till the 1950�s. Shaloy
was located T.33N. � R. 2 E Sec. 8. TEACHERS Cassie Erratt Ruth Szymoniak � 1951-1952 Last teacher STUDENTSEugene EveringhamEvelyn EveringhamHarold LambersonJoAnn LambersonLila LambersonDale MilliganLarry MilliganRonnie MilliganBilly StonerKeith StonerRuth Szymoniak � 1937 Charlie Everingham was janitor and also supplied wood. Bob Bowles and Harold Frieberger came every day to play ball with the kids. They were
too old to be in school but needed something to do. A snow storm plugged the road at Merritt�s Hill. A rotary plow was brought in from
Rogers City. The teacher, Cassie Erratt, let the students watch out the
window of the school because most of the students had never seen the plow work before. Cassie notes
it took the plow most of the morning to break the road open. Ruth Szymoniak tells of taking the whole class (10 students) to Mackinaw City and
riding to St. Ignace on the Ice Breaker Mackinaw when the ship was almost new. Compiled and Contributed by Nute Chapman, Sally Beatty, & Jim Hall

Return to HomePage